Sunday, February 20, 2011

Freezer Favorite: Chicken Enchiladas with Salsa Verde (Cooking Light)

I love freezer meals! Before my son was born, I made about 20 different meals and stashed them in my freezer. It was so great to just pop something in the oven as my husband headed home rather than trying to juggle a newborn and prep dinner at the same time. These enchiladas are one of our favorites.

I usually poach the chicken myself, but I'd imagine you could use grocery store rotisserie chicken to save time. I also omit the cilantro from the salsa as we're not huge fans at our house. I've used both low-fat and full-fat cream cheese and although the full fat version is a bit richer, the low-fat version is great as well.

Although it seems like a hassle to cook the tortillas in the chicken broth before stuffing them, it really is a key step (especially if you are using corn tortillas, which are very brittle). I've tried to skip the step in the past and the tortillas crack as you attempt to roll them up to place them in the pan.

To freeze, I cover tightly with foil. To reheat, I place the dish in a 350 degree oven for about an hour. I will sometimes sprinkle the top of the dish with cheese, but it's definitely not necessary. I also add a very small amount of water to the pan to keep the enchiladas moist as they reheat.


I'm a big fan of CookingLight.com, which features all the recipes published in the magazine, compiled in an easy-to-use format. Each recipe lists nutritional information and the site also has a great review system that allows you to learn from other folks' mistakes/improvements when it comes to preparing a specific recipe.

Chicken Enchiladas with Salsa Verde, courtesy of Cooking Light.

2 comments:

  1. We popped these in the oven last night - DELICIOUS! We love garlic, and the garlic in the salsa verde was a delight!

    ReplyDelete